How we use information about you
We are Mahogany Opera Group, based at Institute of Contemporary Arts, 12 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AH. We are a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 03508706 and registered office at Watford Palace Theatre, 20 Clarendon Road, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17 1JZ. We’re a charity with registered charity number 1070013. Our VAT registration number is GB 749 4044 16.
This privacy notice explains how we use any personal information we hold about you and your rights about this.
We may hold information about you for a number of reasons, including if you are a person:
● using our website which is currently at www.mahoganyoperagroup.co.uk
● who has completed a paper or online feedback form
● who has contacted us via email, via the contact form on our website or otherwise
● who has agreed to be on our mailing list
● who has donated money via donation service, cheque, cash or services in kind
● who has told a venue where we perform that you are happy for them to pass information you have given them about yourself to us
● who has submitted a script/idea to us
● who has auditioned for us
The information we may hold about you
We may hold the following information about you:
● information you provide us in an online or paper form (for example, your name and contact details, postcode, age, feedback about our work)
● contact details you have provided to us (for example, using the contact form on our website, by email or notes of phone calls)
● information about your purchases, donations, event attendance and interactions with our communications – including the information available through the services we use to do this, currently Mailchimp
● information that you have provided in relation to a claim for GiftAid
● information about your usage of our website, for example, what you look at or access, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, information about your computer, including – where your browser provides this – your IP address, operating system and browser type
● your publicly available social media activity or analytics on you provided by social media platforms; for example, your Twitter handle, posts and location
● information about you that you have told a venue where we perform that you are happy for them to pass to us.
Why and how we may collect, hold and use information about you
We collect, hold and use personal data because is it necessary for:
● the pursuit of our legitimate interests (described below)
● the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract, or
● complying with our legal obligations.
We collect, hold and use information about you:
● to personalise your experience of our website and/or communications you receive from us
● to help demonstrate the impact and reach of our work to organisations who fund us
● to record who has given money or services to us so that we can tell them how their money has helped us and others, and to claim GiftAid where possible
● to manage our organisation effectively and improve what we do
● to develop relationships with you as someone who may want to collaborate with us
● to inform future programming of events including better understanding of specific locations and tailoring work to them
● depending on what marketing communications you may have agreed to receive:
○ to communicate with you about ourselves, our work, future shows, other fun stuff that we think you might find interesting and opportunities to support us
○ to communicate with you about upcoming Open Auditions
○ to communicate with you about training and workshops
Although we sometimes will tell you about work from others, we won’t pass information we hold about you to them – unless you explicitly give us your permission.
We sometimes use information about you to demonstrate the impact and reach of our work to current or potential funders, but any such information is anonymised so that we do not share with them anything which identifies you.
We may use any feedback you give us in public communications, but we won’t do so in such a way that people would know it was from you, unless we get your permission.
We may share information about you:
● with analytics providers for the purposes of improving our website
● with other organisations who help us deliver services to you or who we use in the course of our business (for example, we use reputable third party companies to manage our mailing lists)
We may share information about you with law enforcement agencies or other organisations or individuals if we are obliged to by law or if this is required in order to enforce a legal obligation.
We would like to communicate with you about ourselves, our work, future shows, other fun stuff that we think you might find interesting and opportunities to support us.
We will only do this if you explicitly give us permission to do this. For example, we won’t add you to our mailing list if you just give feedback or contact us through the contact form unless you have expressly consented to us doing so.
You have the right to opt out at any time from us contacting you for marketing purposes. If you no longer want to be contacted for marketing purposes, email us
. Any marketing e-mail that we may send you will include an “unsubscribe” link allowing you to opt out of future communications.
Storage and retention
We will usually store your information in services within the European Economic Area. However, in the course of our activities it is sometimes necessary for us to share your data outside of the EEA. This will typically occur when service providers are located outside the EEA or if you are based outside the EEA. These transfers are subject to special rules under data protection laws.
If this happens, we will ensure that the transfer will be compliant with data protection law and all personal data will be secure.
We will keep your information only for so long as is necessary to enable us to carry out our activities. Typically, we would not expect to hold your personal information for more than six years without your consent to do so. As stated above, you have the right to be removed from our marketing lists at any time.
Contacting us, access to your information and right of correction
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. We may make a small charge for this service.
If you would like a copy of some or all of the information we hold about you – or otherwise want to contact us, please email us at email@example.com
or write to us at General Manager, Mahogany Opera Group, 12 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AH.
We want to make sure that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. You can ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk
Cookies are text files placed on your computer by a website to collect standard internet log information and information about the behaviour of visitors that visit a website.
For further information on cookies, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
We will use the information we collect as a result of you accepting a cookie from our site to track your use of the website and to compile reports on the use of the website overall by all visitors.
You can set up your browser not to accept cookies – and the websites above tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. In a few cases, some features of our website may not function fully as a result.
Our website contains links to other websites. If you follow links to other websites, you should read their privacy policies to see how they use information about you.